Monday, September 17, 2007

September 17th, blogging, day 1


I wanted to start a blog to talk about, and showcase my knitting and perhaps some other tidbits of my life. Pictures, they say, are worth a thousand words...but I'll still probably use a thousand words. I do that. I ramble. I will attempt not to, if only so my readers can be amused at how badly I fail.


But first, it's Monday the 17th of September. I'm not feeling well right now, chesty and my throat hurts and I am, generally speaking, perfectly miserable. Besides knitting and other wooly pursuits, I also shoot firearms competitively, and yesterday was an interclub match. I had to forfeit halfway thru (not that I was doing all that well anyhow) and go home. The weather was horrendous, and my breathing had reacted by attempting to shut down. Not good, so I came home. While recuperating from this reminder that asthma + upper respiratory infection + wet cold weather = disaster, I got on ebay, looked up a spinning wheel in Christies Beach that I'd been watching, and bought it in a last minute bidding frenzy. I "won" (don't you love that term, it almost implys you don't have to pay) an Ashford Traditional single drive spinning wheel, plus a lazy kate, four bobbins, carding combs and even a basket of woolie bits included for $121.00, which I figured was a good deal. I don't really know that for sure, but I do know they go for much more than that new. Now all I have to do is figure out how to use it.


Today, I still felt horrible. I called in to work tonight, and I cancelled a club event I was taking a friend to. I plopped in the computer chair and basically farted around all day. For those who thing I might be better off lying down, I must add that I cannot breath in the horizontal position.

Anyway, early on, on the puter, the folks I got the spinning wheel from contacted me and for some reason I found myself telling them I would pick it up today. They didn't push me, or harrass me, or even suggest it. Nope, it was all me and this damnable addiction to all things woolie. So late this afternoon, I drove what amounted to a 2 1/2 hour round trip to get the spinning wheel, which is now sitting in my living room. I've checked it over for warts, gave it a spin, checked the nuts and bolts, and everything seems to be in order, but after getting home with it, I'm just too exhausted to concentrate on trying to learn how to use it, so I will deal with that tomorrow, if I'm able to think by then, which is questionable.


My husband, in the meantime, is looking at it as if it is some strange beast that has invaded our home. Perhaps he's right.


No comments: