Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Namaste Bag Quickie

This is going to be a quick post, and done a bit on the fly. I'll do another post to catch up on what I forgot to put in this one soon.

The Big news is that I ordered a Namaste Malibu bag in a lovely olive green from American Yarns. They are having a 20% off sale on all in stock merchandise this weekend, and it was just too tempting to resist. (For anyone interested, sale ends at midnight tonight, and you can go to the American Yarns group to get the sale code.) I'd been oggling these things for a month or more, and had it narrowed down to either getting the Malibu or the Hermosa. Both were about the right size for my needs, but I finally decided to get the Malibu as a more practical bag for taking everywhere.

I got a note from Gabrielle, the owner, saying she had sent the bag off from QLD Saturday. I was driving home this morning from work, trying not to get my hopes up. I knew getting it today would be sort of the "best case scenerio". I actually squealed when I heard the postie's knock at the door this morning.

Without further ado, my lovely olive green Nemaste Malibu bag:



The interior is nice and roomy and all sectioned off for all the bits.



Needless to say, it will be very useful for taking with me to Bendigo this year! I'm just thrilled with it. I'm rather sick of taking my knitting around in cloth grocery bags.

Now, on to the quick catch up bits. I finished the Unmentionables from Knitty, or "Blooming Bloomers" as I call them, made with Brown Sheep Cotton Fleece in the Putty colourway. I haven't blocked them yet, which I'm sure will help the lace around the legs, and just put my yellow cord in for taking this photo. But I'm rather happy with them as they are, and they fit perfectly.



Also, I've very nearly finished the "Peace in the Hood" Central Park Hoodie made using Peace Fleece wool. I just like making the crocheted button loops and adding the buttons. It is, as expected, too big, as I started making it before I lost the weight. Hubby says it's okay, but lets face it, it swamps me. No pics of me with it on, but here's a shot of the back.



Also in the "almost finished" pile is the scarf I've been making for a workmate. I made her a hat last year in 2x2 rib, and this year she requested a scarf to match. I made the scarf in 3x3 rib, and it's long enough. I only need to cast off, sew in the ends and block.



The only project I've really got on the needles right now (gasp!! yes, just one...but that's due to change soon) is a pair of socks I'm knitting for a gift. At the recipients request, I'm knitting them with Heirloom Easy-care 5ply. I was knitting them 2 at a time, but had to separate them to finish the gusset increases and turn the heels.



Spinningwise, I have been working on the alpaca I got from Woolywombat. It's lovely and soft, but alpaca spinning is like alpaca knitting...those darn stray fibres get everywhere. I'd never spun alpaca, so it's been a learning curve, but I think I've got the hang of it now.



Also in spinning news, I'd been on the waiting list for Southern Cross Fibre Club for a few months, and finally got my invite to join. My first months fibre arrived last week...115 grams of Shetland wool top in lovely greens (we know I love greens).



I just love the earthy tones of David's fibres. I'm just sort of over all the pastels and bright bold colors that are pretty, but rather impractical for actual knitting when your...well...39 years old for the umpteenth time.

I also stopped by Spotlight yesterday. They were having a 20% off everything sale, and I actually went in looking for towels. I walked out with 14 balls of Cleckheaton Naturals Cotton. I found them in a bargain bin for 2.49 a ball, plus the 20% off, and they were quite a bargain indeed. Since they're "Naturals" they aren't really dyed, but they come in different shades varying from a creamy white to a brown. I bought 10 of the darker shade, and 4 of the lighter shade.




I was thinking the varying shades would work together, but after looking at patterns for "all cotton" garments on Ravelry, I can make something in my "new" size from just the darker shade if I like. Most all the summer cardi or top patterns call for roughly 7 or 8 balls in my size. Lordy, will I ever get used to being this small again?

Well, as stated, I'm rather sure I've forgotten a half a dozen things I intended to put in the post, but lucky me, this is my "slow week" at work, so I'll have lots of free time to do another post soon if need be. Till then..

No comments: