Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Knitting ADHD

I think I'm going into knitter's overload. My mind flits about from various projects I want to do, to others that I "need" to do, and to the massive amounts of yarn dedicated to projects in both of these categories. Balls and skeins of yarn are nestled in the chest, crammed under the bed, and stuffed in various other places too numerous to mention right now. Still, I think I hear them crying out for some attention, some action on my part to see them reach their destiny.

Then, of course, there's yarn I want, but have yet to buy..but that's a whole other story.

Just as a recap of my current situation: I have three projects I'm currently working on.

The "Sacrifice socks", those black Patonyle monstrosities for my DH, which are nearing completion. They travel well, and are getting the bulk of the attention right now, but now I'm afraid they aren't going to fit. Yes, I knit them from the toe up, in some misguided conviction that this would eliminate the possibility of a bad fit. Of course, toe up usually works, but only when the recipient is kind enough to let you try them on him/her as you go. He is willing, after a fashion, to allow this, but then jerks around painfully every time I try to slip them on. I had not factored in his ticklishness. I had known of it, but the severity of his afflicition was grossly underestimated. So all I can do now is knit and hope.




The short row scarf knit with Noro, Hirohito's Revenge, hasn't seen much action in the past week, so I won't bother with a picture right now. It would probably, however, be the quickest and easiest to finish when I pick it back up, so I'm not terribly worried about it right now.

Then there's "The Fringe", the jumper I'm working on with the 14ply Paton's Homespun. Seriously boring knitting over, at present, massively long rows, and I haven't touched it in awhile, so again, I won't bother with a picture. I do let it ride around in the boot of my car, just in case I get stranded somewhere without any other knitting. While it is, without a doubt, the best traveled of my projects, it's not getting any closer to completion.

In other UFO's, there's still the man's jumper that lacks a sleeve, and I DO have the yarn now to finish it, so it would be really easy to knock that job out of the way. The vest for Chris, likewise, would be simple to finish. A matter of picking up a bunch of stitches and knitting the border. Still, I can't be buggered, so they are in hibernation, packed away in the wardrobe until heaven knows when (although Chris has started asking about the vest.

Now, for the critical issue...my knitting agenda. The Peace Fleece is burning a hole in my stash. I wanna knit something with it, so bad I can taste is, and being the greedy bugger that I am, I want to knit it for ME. I've searced projects on Ravelry, and in books, until my eyes have crossed. I love the Central Park Hoodie designed by Heather Lodinsky, and it's been resized to fit plus sizes. I would have settled on it, but I'm thinking I don't quite have enough yarn to make it. All those cables use alot of yarn, and according to the yarn recommendation, I think I would fall a skein or two short.

I have pulled out my Twisted Sister's Sweater book (a knit to fit workshop), typed up a copy of their "Fitter List" as I couldn't get it to print off well out of the book, and attempted to draw their "sweater map". (Drawing is not an accomplishment of mine...not by a long shot.) I've even had Chris "measure me up". The idea here is to design my own, and I'm flirting seriously with the idea. It would be so nice to have my own design with the Peace Fleece. I love it so, and that would just add to our connection. But I'm finding the process difficult, particularly as I keep trying to work on it when I'm half asleep. I've copied designs before..in other words, made up a pattern from a design I had seen, but I've never designed from scratch.




One other option is a pattern I already have in a plus sized pattern book I purchased from Ebay. I love this cardi. It is simple, with only one small cable trimming the button bands. Unfortunately, the pattern is for DK (8ply) yarn, and the Peace Fleece is Worsted. Still, I could make it in a smaller size, and since the cardi is so loose fitting in the first place, it would most likely work.




While I've been wasting my time in my Peace Fleece obsession, I need to be casting on something for my newest grandson. I have the yarn (some Patons 4ply), and I have a vague plan of knitting some socks and a hat..perhaps a blankie as well. Today, by hook or by crook, I will cast on!

Still in the back of my mind, and needing to edge it's way a little closer to the frount, is a jumper I want to make for my mom for Christmas and a cardi for my mother in law, likewise for Christmas. Christmas seems so far away right now, but considering I have two large projects to tackle, and probably various smaller ones by the time I get a "Christmas Knit List" officially formulated, it's not something I need to put off for too long.

On the "fun" side of things, I have a coworker who wanted my help in figuring out what she could do with some yarn she had bought on a recent holiday to Tasmania. She knits some, but not as obsessively as I do, and wasn't sure. It's mohair, which can get confusing. I also told her I would wind it for her, and had the pleasure of bringing the beautiful stuff home and winding it on my ball winder.



I did discover that my ball winder is not terribly fond of mohair. After sorting the "tangle" issue, the second ball kept slipping off the cone when it was barely started. On my third try, I started wetting my "guide" fingers, and that did the trick.



The red and white koolaid dyed Patonyle finally got wound as well. I finally just buckled down and got after it yesterday. The first ball was the only one I had tangle troubles with. The other two wound on like a dream, so I'm ready to knit those "boaty" socks as soon as a "sock spot" opens up on my knitting agenda.




So, how confusing is all this? My knitting life right now resembles a kid with ADDH after drinking a pot of coffee. Totally out of control!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you SO much for my beautiful "Mothers Day" socks!! Are they "Koolade Originals"?? They have to be a tegious project.
Also thanks for my can cooler and card. The only gift I had here to open. Glad I waited for once....because it was definately worth the few day wait.
I LOVE YOU, MOM