Thursday, December 13, 2007

Jessica's Scarf and the Christmas Delimma

When I started this blog, I had the intention of telling friends and family about it, so they could drop by here and check out my "creations"...particularly my family, most of whom are in the US..... sort of as a way for them to keep track of me. I didn't invite them over for a look right away, as it was more or less a work in progress, and I figured I'd wait until I had enough on here to make it vaguely interesting.

Then I realized: Christmas is coming. Time to knit those xmas pressies quicksmart. As most of these presents were destined for winter in Tennessee, hopefully to be stuck on or draped across a deserving family member, I thought it would be a bit difficult to be posting this work for them to see. Messes up the surprise factor on Christmas morning. So I figured I'd put off till the New Year any invites. With a couple of exceptions, I've done just that. Diddo that for work, with NO exceptions. I've recently started knitting up some bookmarks for workmates, and have purchased some cotton for a few washcloths. I reckon I need 7 or 8 in all, and with less than 2 weeks left, I have exactly 2 made so far. Ah well, I'll do my best. I have tonight off, and nothing urgent to do tomorrow, plus Tuesday and Wednesday off next week. Christmas shopping is all wrapped up, literally and figuratively. Hopefully I'll be able to turn out enough.

So, along with the 3 hats I knit up for my mom, aunt and sister mentioned in the earlier post, I also sent along in the package to Tennessee this scarf for my neice Jessica. She's a teen, so I went with the novelty yarn, some really stringy stuff from Lincraft. I used 9 needles and an off the cuff "pattern" which was really just the garter drop stitch (knit 4 rows, 5th row wrap yarn around needle twice, 6th row drop the extra wrap). I had seen a similar handmade scarf on a young girl I met here, and thought it looked great! I'm quite happy with the way this one turned out as well.

No comments: